Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

General What do you like to call them; Topics or Threads?

For all the diverse topics that don't quite fit elsewhere.
Credits
Topics and Threads literally mean the same thing. They are fresh contents created in a forum to further discussion on it when members starts engaging on it. There are those who refer to it as a new topic and those who call it new threads while some use it interchangeably.

Which one do you call it between Topic and Thread?

Advertisement Placeholder
I have always called them threads for many years now but I have noticed that more people tend to use the word topic now instead.

As much as I do use the word thread because it is what I am used to, if someone uses the word topic, I tend to use that word as well to save confusion when speaking with someone.

Threads as topics can evolve.
Breaking Bad What GIF by For(bes) The Culture

A thread is a thread and shall always be a thread. It denotes 'infrastructure' for want of a better word. So this thread is part of the infrastructure of this node which is part of the infrastructure of the wider forum. With me so far?

A 'topic' from the interwebs:

"A topic is a subject. It's what you're discussing or what a newspaper article is about, the theme of a documentary, or the focus of your term paper. Green energy, the Oscar nominees, what's on the lunch menu, boxers or briefs — these are all considered topics."

The topic may change and evolve as the conversation progresses. So, as an example, the original topic might be, to take from the quote above, Oscar nominees. It will then naturally evolve to Oscar winners, and then the previous movie of the Oscar winner and then the prequel to the previous movie and then the original book where the idea of the movie came from and then the author and his pet dog and then 'I have a dog just like that'. Conversations naturally flow. Topics change. Threads do not.

In my own opinion, a topic is a broad subject that people can discuss, while a thread is a more specific discussion that relates to a topic. For instance a topic can be ‘Workouts’, a thread under it can be weight loss exercises, which is more specific.

I too use them interchangeably and it's more of a whatever comes to my mind first kind of thing. I think I like the word topics more, but threads are perfectly suitable for me as well. As long as people can understand the point I'm trying to make when using the words, then I don't think it's an overall big deal which one you chose to use.

I use both terms when speaking about a thread or a topic. Usually, I go by what others seem to use on the forum I am on.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 20 80.0%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds