Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

communitywall.png

General Idle Chatter

Idle Chatter is a small online community that covers a wide range of topics and interests.

Link details

Idle Chatter is a small online community that covers a wide range of topics and interests.
Along with the discussion forum we also provide an article system blogs, recipe book, media galleries, social groups, a real-time chat system and various other features to keep our members entertained. Our aim is to provide a fun, friendly and safe environment for our users to unwind and partake in the community when they visit and the majority of the features have been added at our members requests.

I've done all the layout customisations myself (with limited knowledge) and I believe we have a unique design which breaks a little from the traditional forum layout - this may not be to everyone's liking but again our members enjoy the feel and look at that is all thast matters.

Idle Chatter is an invite-only community
Website/Forum Creation Date
Jun 7, 2020
Community Software
xenForo
Watch and learn guys! Gemma’s a real wizard when it comes to customizing her board. Even though she says she’s not technically inclined. ;) I’ve seen some really awesome updates and customizations done to Idle Chatter.

Thanks for sharing @Gemma !

I know you have a invite only community. Is there a limit to members you invite, how often do you bring new people in? I haven't seen an invite only community in a long time and I think it's great! I'm excited to see and learn from your future updates @Gemma :)

I know you have a invite only community. Is there a limit to members you invite, how often do you bring new people in? I haven't seen an invite only community in a long time and I think it's great! I'm excited to see and learn from your future updates @Gemma :)
Everything is done through a referral system, members can send out 15 invites a month (links or emails) if they want. Our growth isn't huge but that's not really an issue. Moving to an invite-only system was the best move I've ever made while running sites. I have given some thought to opening up registration a few times a year to allow anyone to join but I've never carried it through yet.

I'm excited to see and learn from your future updates @Gemma
Thank you, updates happen quite often! :)

If it’s okay with Gemma, I can probably hand out a few invitations for anyone who wants to join? Her call though. 😀

Everything is done through a referral system, members can send out 15 invites a month (links or emails) if they want. Our growth isn't huge but that's not really an issue. Moving to an invite-only system was the best move I've ever made while running sites. I have given some thought to opening up registration a few times a year to allow anyone to join but I've never carried it through yet.

Thank you, updates happen quite often! :)
Oh that's awesome! A referral system makes sense. I can see how that can make the community a bit more tight knit possibly too!

Yeah I could see having it open up at certain points would be an interesting idea - but it would be hard to decide when. Christmas is about the only one I could think of... "Here is our gift to you - if you'd like to join the community welcomes you!" Regardless, I think the referral system, and having the availability for 15 invites a month is enough probably!

Was there a particular reason you made your forum invite only? I have only come across one such forum before.

This is the first invite only forum I've seen in a while. I can't recall the last time I've seen one and what the niche even was. It definitely is a great way to get to know your members and to make sure you don't get any spam bots or trolls joining your community. Looking at the screenshots it looks like a very cool community!

Was there a particular reason you made your forum invite only? I have only come across one such forum before.
Ravenfreak put it very well....
It definitely is a great way to get to know your members and to make sure you don't get any spam bots or trolls joining your community.
This is the way I wanted to build my community. We're just a small site, we've 126 members and are just about to hit 30K posts - it is only in the past week I've introducted a section for "forum games" but it is a provate group because a lot of members just aren't interested in those types of posts. Having an invite-only site I know my members and they know each other and the content and interaction grows from there. I often say the site is like a group meeting in a pub - the guys discuss their sports and other interests, the girls have their own areas of interest then there is all the common interests and that reflects in the posts and threads and interactions.

I've never been one for doing post exchanges, I'd sooner not have a site than go down that route. I don't register on other forums but nearly every site I see nowadays has the same users making the same posts just on a different domain (sorry if that offends some people). I get it that people want content and a busier site but, and this is just my opinion, if I'm putting a lot of hours and money into my site I'm wanting it to grow naturally and again going down the invite-only route is allowing this to happen.

This is the way I wanted to build my community. We're just a small site, we've 126 members and are just about to hit 30K posts - it is only in the past week I've introducted a section for "forum games" but it is a provate group because a lot of members just aren't interested in those types of posts. Having an invite-only site I know my members and they know each other and the content and interaction grows from there. I often say the site is like a group meeting in a pub - the guys discuss their sports and other interests, the girls have their own areas of interest then there is all the common interests and that reflects in the posts and threads and interactions.

I've never been one for doing post exchanges, I'd sooner not have a site than go down that route. I don't register on other forums but nearly every site I see nowadays has the same users making the same posts just on a different domain (sorry if that offends some people). I get it that people want content and a busier site but, and this is just my opinion, if I'm putting a lot of hours and money into my site I'm wanting it to grow naturally and again going down the invite-only route is allowing this to happen.
You're absolutely right. It's hard to stand out and it's nice you go down that route. It takes courage too! Most people want as you said bigger and busier sites and are often discouraged when it doesn't happen overnight. You've got something special with Idle Chatter. I need to pop in more.

Most people want as you said bigger and busier sites and are often discouraged when it doesn't happen overnight.
Oh, I've been there on previous sites I've run. I've been the only person online for days on end and it does get so discouraging.

You've really got to have a plan and stick to it. No point in just setting up a site and expecting it to explode with activity. It takes time, planning, dedication and a lot of patience.

Oh, I've been there on previous sites I've run. I've been the only person online for days on end and it does get so discouraging.

You've really got to have a plan and stick to it. No point in just setting up a site and expecting it to explode with activity. It takes time, planning, dedication and a lot of patience.
Definitely. Nowadays there is a much larger fail rate than say 10 years ago. With a bit of luck back in the days, you could've been successful without doing much. I always admire people making forums, and encourage them too! - But half of them don't quite understand what it takes.

A small amount compared with a lot of other sites but we are happy to have hit the 30,000 post milestone at Idle Chatter.

30K.png

Been working on a few little tweaks as well.

We have a member story add-on where members can post short video clips or images, similar to how social media sites like Instagram or Facebook work (I think, I'm not active on either platform). I've been working on an updated layout in my member profile pages.

stoires1.png stories2.png stories3.png

We've also simplified the thread list a little and, as we encourage our members to bookmark threads, we've added the ability to bookmark from the thread list.

thread_list.png

Also updated the thread info block in thread view - it not only tells you who created the thread and when but also who replied last and the date, number of replies, views and reactions (on first post) and also frequent posters and a overlay that shows all the thread posters. This is still a work in progress.

thread_view1.png thread_view3.png thread_view2.png

And finally, well there is more but I don't want to bore you, we've added an games section. It is a simple arcade where members can challenge each other to highscores playing HTML5 games.

arcade1.png arcade2.png

Last edited:
Interesting idea with the invite only. You should have 1 forum where anyone can join and each month invite someone in. I think it’s the competitiveness in me starting to take over with that idea though.

Also did you set up the arcade or was there an add on you found for it?

Any astonishing updates yet @Gemma ? :D

Nothing really, just some experimenting with search forums and minor tweaks here and there. Got a few things to implement including Bob's Item Management System but I'm flat out with work until the end of this week so website stuff will need to wait.

Interesting idea with the invite only. You should have 1 forum where anyone can join and each month invite someone in. I think it’s the competitiveness in me starting to take over with that idea though.

That won't happen :)

Also did you set up the arcade or was there an add on you found for it?

It's a Wordpress addon called MyArcadePlugin integrated into xenForo. It is very basic compared to the old v3 Arcade, IBP Arcade and even XF Arcade and what's on offer for Invision Community but a timewaster for those that want it.

While I have not been on an Invite Only & would not opt for it for my forum, it's a personal choice for each of us Admins. :) We have to do what we feel comfortable with.
I like Post Exchanges & I can see the point of the same users posting same posts. However, not all forums have the same members. So a post across multiple forums may be the first time a member has seen it on the forum(s) they frequent.
With that said, I give people Kudos because it IS hard to build a forum.

Been relatively quiet through December but just finished off a few minor changes to sections of our member profiles - improving the layout and tweaking the code.

Got a few new things I'm working on revolving around books and beer! And an events addon and a change to our social groups but those are on hold until the new year.

Attachments

• postareas.png
    postareas.png
    505.2 KB · Views: 2
  • profile.png
    profile.png
    651 KB · Views: 2
  • profileposts.png
    profileposts.png
    248 KB · Views: 2
  • memberstories.png
    memberstories.png
    671.9 KB · Views: 2
You wouldn't say it's a XenForo forum. :D

Have you checked out XenCustomize yet? They have some really cool add on's that might suit Idle Chatter. ;) More particularly:

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor